There are five principle energy flows (also called winds or vayus):
- Apana - energy of first and second chakras - handles reproduction and evacuation of waste
- General tendency of Apana is down. Redirection of the energy using inversions or mediations that invert flow of that energy
- This makes it so we do not provoke normal human tendencies
- Samana - solar plexus - regulates our digestion
- Inner fire
- Use diet to control
- Never force too much food at one time
- Prana - chest - exchange of energy with surrounding space
- Use pranayama to regulate
- Udana - throat to top of head - intellectual, spiritual and creative functions
- Feel that you can see or think more clearly
- Spread the range of perception by these methods
- Upward facing dog to downward dog will activate this energy. It stimulates the inverted flow as a sublimation of energies takes place.
- Physical asana practice with lots of vinyasas can stimulate this prana
- Prostrations create the same inverted flow
- Vyana - connection between all other pranas and moves all around the Nadis
Secondary Pranas (vayus)
- Naga - yawning energy to bring the body into the state it is moving into. This takes place when going from active to sleepy or sleepy to active.
- Kurma - blinking and tears. This is protection from dust and other objects in the eyes
- Krkara - protection against things going into nostrils or throat. Coughing.
- Devadatta - burping energy to regulate pressures in the stomach
- Janamjaya - expansion of corpse after death
Moving of primary pranas can activate the secondary energies.