This is a delicious soup from the book Coconut and Sambal which has some absolutely amazing Indonesian recipes. This soup is hearty and feeds 4 people fo sho.
- 1 large aubergine, cut into bite-sized chunks (about 2cm)
- 150g shiitake mushrooms (or brown, chestnut or white mushrooms), stems removed, thinly sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 800ml coconut milk
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 100g broccoli, cut into large chunks
- 100g dried rice vermicelli noodles, or other thin noodles
- 2–3 tbsp kecap manis
- 1–2 tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Sea salt, to taste
- Coconut oil or sunflower oil, for frying
- Lime wedges, to serve
For the spice paste
- Large bunch of coriander
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 4 long red chillies, half deseeded, all sliced
- 2cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, outer woody layers removed, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Blend spice paste ingredients to a paste. It can have some chunks.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wide, deep saucepan over a medium heat and fry the spice paste until fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplant chunks and sliced mushrooms with another 1 tablespoon of oil and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes.
- As soon as they have started to soften, add the tomatoes, coconut milk and vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the noodles in a heatproof bowl, pour over boiling water and leave for 10 minutes (or follow instructions on bag). Drain and toss with a little oil to prevent them sticking together.
- When ready to serve add the noodles to the soup
- Season with kecap manis, lime, rice vinegar and salt.
- Eat it