- 4 Tb olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 Tb ground cumin
- 1 Tb smoked paprika
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1Tb preserved lemon paste (see recipe below)
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 6 cups vegetable broth (see note below)
- Whole lemon, juiced
- Small handful of fresh parsley and cilantro
- Salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
- Vegan sour cream
- Lemon Wedges
- Green Chili Oil (see note below)
- Add olive oil to saucepan and heat over medium-low.
- Add onion and carrots with and cook 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, saffron and cook 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the preserved lemon paste, tomato and the lentils, then add the broth and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to very low and simmer uncovered for an hour or two.
- Season with salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper to taste. Add lemon juice and herbs.
- Puree half in a blender then return to soup pot.
- Serve garnished with a dollop of Vegan Sour Cream, a drizzle of Green Chili Olive Oil.
- Using a quality, flavorful broth such as Edward & Son's Not-Chick'n bullion cubes. Dissolve 2 cubes (or 2 tsp of bullion paste) in six cups hot water for this recipe.
- Green Chili Oil can be ordered from here when they have it in stock, or make an easy version by blending a fresh green chili in a cup of EVOO and let it sit over night before straining into a bottle.